Monday, April 2, 2012

Pete's Noble Nose

Well, it's first of April and a very warm one at that for us Vermonters. I have to share with you the most amazing event with my main man Pete. This is a picture of Pete with his nose sliced 8 inches, the top went in about 1/2 inch.

Here's the story - my new employee, Sally, is amazing. She loves the horses, hasn't had a huge amount of experience with horses, but is "a natural". Three weeks ago we were hauling slabwood for the sugaring house and she had some sawdust go in her eye and had to file for an accident insurance. (Note: #1). One week later, we were working with the tractor and the bucket fell on her leg. (Note: #2) Arnica, ice, Rescue Remedy, elevated leg, later.....very little trauma and she's back.

"So, we say. Accidents happen in threes - please, Sally , just stub your toe or something". So last Friday we were out working Pete and Rocket and Sally was taking off Pete's harness. He bent down to eat some hay off the floor and when he came up he sliced open his nose on the metal cap of the stall. ( Note: #3). Didn't bleed very much but was hugely traumatic. It's an 8 inch slice down his nose - like I took an exacto blade and cut in 1/4 inch or more down the bridge of his nose.

Long story short. I "got it" yesterday morning. Pete took the hit for the 3rd accident for Sally, which would have been huge. He took it out of loyalty and love for me and what I stand for and what I work for - not the fussy "I luv you" kind of stuff, but the incredible "this is why we are here" kind of stuff. When I got it, I went over to the stall where he was with tears streaming down my face in all my humbleness and appreciation for what these incredible Beings do for us.

I'm still processing how this all integrates in our barn here - some things more profound than others and yet - thank God everyone is healing/healed/happy/joyous and full of life.

With loving light,
cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment